FACT: People would rather do business with people they know or are familiar with. Few things are more reassuring to a potential client than receiving a positive endorsement from someone they know and trust regarding your business.
It sounds easy enough, but how do you exactly ask for those referrals? Here are five tips on how to do just that:
- Ask for help! It’s in our nature to help others and most of us truly enjoy it. Make it part of your marketing strategy to personally reach out to your current client base and ask them if they know of any friends, family, or business associates that would be interested in your product or service. It’s that easy – simply ask for help!
- Change your way of thinking and your sales process. Don’t assume that just because you’ve done a great job making your customer happy that they will go willingly and spread the word. You must change your way of thinking and put referrals at the top of your priority list. Along with changing your way of thinking, it may be a good idea to update your sales process. Here are some helpful tips:
- Use every client meeting as an opportunity to talk about and receive referrals. If you need to, make a reminder in your preparation notes.
- Make the most out of every networking event and/or opportunity. Set a goal to talk to at least three new people and be sure to ask about their business too!
- Be specific when asking for referrals. If you are looking for a specific sized business or industry, let them know. You never know who they may know.
- Give and you will receive. For those of you in a business networking group, you’ve probably heard this saying many times before. Keep your ears open and your current clients on your mind. When you have the opportunity to use or refer their products or services, do so!
- Thank those that refer. Be sure to personally thank those that refer to you – take them out for lunch or write a handwritten thank you note. The more appreciative you are, the more likely it is that they will refer again.
- Create a referral program with rewards. Even though it’s in our nature to help others, let’s be honest, we all like to be rewarded. It may be beneficial for your business to create a referral program that rewards individuals for their referrals. The rewards could range from free products or services to cold hard cash depending on what is in the best interest of your business. Click here to learn more about Best Card’s referral program.
Now get out there and get more referrals!